I am currently straddling both the academic and media industries. I have over ten years of professional experience in the field of broadcast journalism and documentary making. During this period, I have directed, produced and written a number of documentaries and investigative reports for award-winning Philippine TV programs such as Reporter’s Notebook and I-Witness. I also make documentaries and produce journalistic works as one-man-band. Two of my films, A Friend in Sight (2013) and Obrero (2018), have been featured in international documentary festivals in New Zealand and the Philippines. My backpack investigative report, A Long recovery: Rebuilding after a superstorm (2014), won the Bruce Jesson Emerging Journalism Award in 2015.
As researcher, I have an abiding interest in new media technologies and how they alter the practice and content of contemporary journalism. My published academic articles cover the interdisciplinary areas of public relations, strategic communication, new media and journalism. I hold a Master of Journalism from Massey University in Wellington and a Master of Arts in Media Studies from the University of the Philippines Diliman.
Currently, I am taking my PhD (with creative practice) in media and communication at the University of Auckland. My thesis is a creative and critical exploration of how transmedia logic meshes with political documentary’s nature of representing social realities and goal of promoting social change. My creative component, on the other hand, interrogates the efficacy of transmedia strategy in representing labour migration in the context of the on-going Christchurch rebuild.
You can find more information about me and my works through the following links and news articles:
- Dominion Post/stuff.co.nz – A Sight for the Big Screen
- GMA News Online – Pinoy scholar’s docu featured in NZ filmfest
- Official Gazette – Filipino scholar’s documentary brings pride and inspiration to Filipinos in New Zealand
- The Big Idea- A Friend in Sight
- The Wireless – A long recovery, rebuilding after a superstorm
- Massey English and Media Studies Blog – Filmmaker featured in Capital Life
- GMA News Online – New Zealand govt grants scholarship to GMA Network segment producer, 18 others
- Massey University News – Prize-winning journalism students honoured
- Bruce Jesson Foundation – Surveillance film & Living Wage report win 2015 Jesson award
- Philippine Daily Inquirer – Oldest indie fest bares latest winners
- Cebu Daily News – Moving Experiences
- GMA News Online – Everything Pinoys need to know about assistance dogs
*Photo ℅ JC Espesor